Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Municylist Mike Carroll

Although I made this image several years ago, it endures as one of my favorites. My friend Mike Carroll, a member of the local Zany Umbrella Circus, whom I was interviewing for my newspaper, offered to take his unicycle (a "municycle," which means it is customized with a mountain bike tire and other adaptations to allow it to perform on varied terrain) up onto the roof of our friend's building and take a spin for the camera. I thought it too dangerous and didn't want his premature death on my hands, but he assured me that he's done it before and was not worried in the least. I went onto an adjoining roof ( I suffer no fear of heights, thankfully) and took a bunch of shots. The sky was perfect with a lovely, typically dull Pittsburgh light that enhances the mood and mystery of the scene. This is exactly the sort of moody, whimsical image that I would like to make more of!

2 comments:

Michael said...

That's just a great photo.

Lauren C'an Urbschat said...

damn you're good!